Finally I have spent some quality time in the studio!! A couple of nights ago, I pulled out a batch of postcards I began working on before Christmas to get them finished and on their way to their new owners.
I thought I had taken photos of the postcards in all stages, but can’t find them…. Probably forgot again…. I keep thinking I will photograph a group at all stages, well, next batch…. Above is the remaining fabric from the fat quarter sunprint I cut 6 postcards from for a Postmark’d Art Exchange.
I began by fusing chunks of the sunprints onto 4″x6″ pieces of Peltex interfacing. I then used colored pencils to draw back in the veins in the prints, then free motion stitched the edges and veins of the Maple and Oak leaf prints.
The next thing I did was to add more interest by adding “ghost” Oak leaves by laying silk leaves over the stitched postcards, brushing white pearl paint over the edges. The above photo shows two ghostly images on a card. I then had to wait for the paint to dry….
After the paint dried, I stitched around the edges of the Oak leaves and the veins with an iridescent white thread. One card has one of the silk leaves that was painted over, stitched onto it. Another card has two prints made from pressing the silk leaves paint side down onto it, transferring the paint. The photos show more shine than shows in real life. There is some shimmer, but the flash reflected off the pearl paint.
Above is a closer look at the stitching, pearl paint prints, and applique.
Once the stitching was done on the fronts of the cards, I printed the backs on cotton fabric. By setting up a legal size, there is room for 4 backs on one page. I have blanked out the addresses in this photo. The backs were cut, then fused onto the postcards. Black yarn with silver metallic through it was then couched on the edges to finish them, using the white iridescent thread.
This photo above, shows 4 of the cards with the backs fused on and the edges finished with the yarn. I forgot to take another photo with the stamps on…. First class stamps were used for mailing.
The final photo shows all 6 postcards finished- the front view. The stamps were added and I sent them on their way to their new owners today.
Now that this batch of postcards is done, I can begin playing with another batch of postcards or possibly pull out the stone wall pieces that I started while at my grandmother’s house. Maybe I can finish one or more of them before next weekend when we will help her celebrate her 96th birthday… I can’t imagine living that long…. I am now half her age….