TWO Quilts Finished!

OK, I am excited, and they are both small, but just finishing anything this year is an accomplishment!

Stormy Sky Finished

I finally got time to finish the quilting on this one… Made for last month’s Fast Friday Fabric Challenge.  I had all but the sky quilted, but was unsure how to continue, so I uploaded it to the FFFC Blog anyway for some ideas. We then left for GA, and I finally got back to it. I used clear thread, and did have to do a bit of touching up of the needle marks in the sky. It finished at 10″x10″ with the black suede yarn binding.

Stormy Sky quilting holes

When I finished stitching, the holes from the needle really showed up a lot…. Not good! (the above photo shows them fairly well, it also shows more shine than the piece really has) So I pulled out my thinned gel gloss medium, water soluble wax pastels, and a stiff small brush….. I tried to match the color of the medium to the area of the sky I was working on, and it worked nicely. I did have to add a new back over it to cover the mess I created there with the color running through the holes, but I like the effect much better now.  The only thing that jumps out at me now is the “A” in the sky… not sure what I was doing when I zigged instead of keeping things rounded…

Stormy Sky Finished Detail

Here is a closer look… I also am not sure how I ended up with the tree top leaning so much, but I could say “the wind was blowing”, even though it wasn’t at the time I took the inspiration photo. Maybe it only bothers me….

Orange Echinacea on the Rocks Finished

This is the second piece I finished…. It has been in the works for much longer. This is 12″x12″ in size with the fuzzy yarn binding. I had the lower right rocky section beaded, then stopped. As shown in the preceding post, I finally got it back out while on our GA trip. I am really glad I put in my “travel bead studio” last minute…. I almost went away with no hand project at all to work on…. That’s how bad things have been quilt wise….

Orange Echinacea on the Rocks detail

Here is a detail shot showing some of the tiny shells, bug beads, and gemstone chips I added. I also added beads to the flower center for more texture. “Orange Echinacea on the Rocks” is available in my Andrus Gardens Quilts Studio on Artfire.

Now I even have a few more pins beaded since my last post!


I am a former textile artist and new pattern designer with a degree in horticulture, wishing to share my love of nature, flowers and gardens with everyone through my photos, sunprinted fabrics, and now pattern designs. Chronic Lyme Disease has caused major changes to the direction my life. I have to limit the amount of time spent digging in my gardens, and quilting has become more difficult. I discovered pattern design as a way to get art back into my life. I now use my gardens and photos to inspire designs that can be used on fabrics and print on demand items.

Tagged with: , , , , , , ,
3 comments on “TWO Quilts Finished!
  1. Norma says:

    I like both of these, Sue. Great colors and quilting. I never would have noticed the “A” in the sky if you hadn’t pointed it out. I love all the beading on the Orange Echinacea.

  2. Diane says:

    I like both of these art quilts, nice job! I wouldn’t have noticed the “A” either. I envy your beading skills, mine are very limited.

  3. Leigh-Anne says:

    Wow, amazing. I love your Stormy Sky quilt